Beneficiary Designations are an estate planning tool that everyone in the Foreign service has. As such, State Department Employees should visit the OPM website to check the current beneficiary designations.
Update these designations after major life events: marriage, children, divorce, etc.
- Contact Thrift Savings directly for a TSP-3 form, and remit directly to TSP to change those beneficiary designations;
- Retirement benefits can be changed or updated with an SF-3102 for FERS, SF-2808 for CSRS, or DS-5002 for FSPS and FSRDS;
- Federal Employees Government Life Insurance beneficiaries can be modified with an SF-2823;
- Unpaid compensation beneficiaries can be set up and changed with an SF-1152; and
- Visit your investment management accounts (Fidelity, Vanguard, etc.) to update those beneficiaries.
By way of general information, Non-probate assets include life insurance benefits, Thrift Savings Plan benefits, IRAs, 401(k)s . . . anything a person has over which a contract designates beneficiaries at death. These designations govern, even if you have something different in your will.
Header Image by Adam Nowak https://flic.kr/p/67kaCY Creative Commons License CC-BY-NC-ND